Micronutrients, also called as trace elements, are consumed by plants in minute quantities, and they are essential for growth and yield. Because of small amounts required, application together with macronutrients saves time and labour and it also prevents overdosing.
- Boron is required for protein synthesis, as well as carbohydrate and water metabolism. It is also essential for pollination and reproduction.
- Copper is a vital element in the production of chlorophyll. It is also required in cell division.
Iron (Fe) and Zinc (Zn)
- Iron and Zinc are needed in enzymatic reactions in plant metabolism. Zinc is important for seed development.
- Manganese promotes resistance to pests and disease. It acts as a catalyst in enzymatic and physiological reactions and is involved in respiration and in the synthesis of chlorophyll.
- Molybdenum is involved in nitrogen metabolism of plants, and it increases Nitrogen uptake. Deficiency results in stunted growth.